Hand Wash Gel 354ml by method
Description: method’s Hand Wash Gel is made from ingredients that are naturally derived, triclosan-free, not tested on animals, and biodegradable. The hand wash cleans your hands safely and effectively without harsh chemicals.
Ingredients in the hand wash include Aloe Vera Gel, benzophenone #4, citric acid / sodium citrate, cocamide DEA, cocamidopropyl betaine , color, fragrance oil blend, methylchloroisothiazolinone + methylisothiazolinone, purified water, sodium chloride, sodium lauryl sulfate, and Vitamin E.
You can choose from different scents: french lavender; cucumber; mandarin-mango; water flower; or waterfall.
method is a leading innovator of premium healthy home and personal care products. Founded by Eric Ryan and Adam Lowry, method is transforming how we see cleaning with products that look and smell good, and made with non-toxin and natural ingredients.
You can buy from method’s online store or from selected retailers.
The product is awarded a Green Rating of 5 stars based on 18 points in the following 6 criteria (updated on 10 Dec 2011):
1. Does the company, product or service have a third party certified green business or green product label?
The product is Cradle to Cradle certified. The Cradle to Cradle Certified program assesses a product’s safety to humans and the environment and design for future life cycles. The program focuses on using safe materials that can be disassembled and recycled as technical nutrients or composted as biological nutrients.
method is a Certified B Corporation. Certified B Corporations are a new type of corporation which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. B Corps meet comprehensive, transparent standards and legally integrate stakeholder interests into their corporate governance.
2. Does the company have a sustainability policy or publish a sustainability report?
method integrates sustainability into the business.
3. Does the company have an Environmental Management System?
method uses the Cradle to Cradle principles to manage its environmental impacts.
4. Has the company taken steps to implement green practices in the office or reduce the environmental impacts from its offices?
method has several sustainability initiatives.
Energy and Climate Change
9. Does the company measure its energy consumption, carbon dioxide or greenhouse gas emissions?
method tracks all of the carbon it emit, including travel, utilities, manufacturing and distribution.
10. Has the company set an energy consumption, carbon dioxide or greenhouse gas reduction target?
method is carbon neutral in 100% of its manufacturing, office operations and employee commuting in travel.
11. Has the company taken steps towards reducing its energy consumption, carbon dioxide or greenhouse gas emissions?
method is taking steps to start finding solutions in its product designs, across its business, and in its supply chain. method’s carbon strategy is to: Reduce first; Alternative energy second; and Offset all the rest.
Materials and Waste
13. Is the product made from reclaimed or recycled material?
The bottles are made from recycled plastic.
14. Is the product biodegradable or acceptable for recycling after use?
method’s plastic bottles are recyclable.
18. Does the product or service have a sustainable material-related third party certification or label?
The product is Cradle to Cradle certified at the silver level. This means a team of scientists at MBDC (McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry) have rigorously assessed all ingredients, packaging materials and design, processes and social practices used, making sure that method has designed for maximum material reutilization rather than designing its products to go into a landfill.
19. Has the company taken steps to reduce the material and packaging used for the product, or to reduce the waste generated in the production of the product or service?
See above. In addition, the method greensourcing program monitors and audits its suppliers to find ways to reduce waste, and to use closed-loop manufacturing practices wherever possible.
22. Has the company taken steps to reduce the water usage or wastewater generated in the production of the product or service?
The method greensourcing program monitors and audits its suppliers to find ways to eliminate water use.
Chemicals and Health
23. Does the product or service use natural ingredients or use no harmful chemicals?
method uses natural and naturally derived materials. If they can’t find a natural ingredient to get the job done, they will use a safe, green, man-made version instead. In all cases, they only use ingredients that have passed through a comprehensive green and health screen.
Every ingredient used in a method product is comprehensively evaluated by an independent environmental research institute, EPEA. As a result of this rigorous material research process, method is completely certain of the health and environmental safety of all method ingredients.
25. Has the company taken steps to reduce the chemicals used in the product or service?
method chooses not to use ingredients that could have potential hazards to human health and/or the environment, including parabens, phosphate, chlorine bleach, phthalates, triclosan, bisphenol-a, ethylene glycol ethers, formaldehyde, and ammonia.
Social and Ethical
27. Does the company have a corporate social responsibility (CSR) policy?
method integrates corporate responsibility into the business.
28. Is the company against animal testing on its product or service?
method performs absolutely no animal testing on any of their products.
29. Does the company have a no child labour or non-discrimination policy?
method’s definition of sustainability includes fair labor practices and diversity.
30. Are the company employees involved in community activities or volunteering their time to help the community or the environment?
Every employee at method gets 3 days every year to give back to the local community, and they can choose to do whatever they want.
“Love the design of the bottle! I tried the hand wash gel with the french lavender scent, and it cleans effectively and leaves my hands slightly smooth, must be the aloe vera in it.
But didn’t like the french lavender scent, definitely not “heavenly scented” as mentioned by method in the website. Would recommend others to try different scents instead.”