Description: The Wheat Composite Fork by L’earth is lightweight and made of composite wheat and recycled plastics.
The fork helps to reduce waste since it is made from waste by-products and recycled plastics.
L’earth (short form of the phrase Love Earth) is a consumer brand of Winrigo (S) Pte Ltd, making eco-friendly plastic products more accessible to consumers.
The product is awarded a Green Rating of 5 stars based on 11 points in the following 5 criteria (updated on 2 Apr 2012):
1. Does the company, product or service have a third party certified green business or green product label?
L’earth’s products are made by Winrigo, which has obtained the Sustainable Manufacturing Certification for 2010 to 2012.
2. Does the company have a sustainability policy or publish a sustainability report?
Winrigo is committed to sustainability and has implemented practices to meet some of the criteria for the Sustainable Manufacturing Label.
4. Has the company taken steps to implement green practices in the office or reduce the environmental impacts from its offices?
Winrigo has implemented practices to meet some of the criteria for the Sustainable Manufacturing Label.
5. Has the company, product or service won any environmental or sustainability awards?
Winrigo has won the 3R Packaging Awards – Merit Award in 2011, and the SEC-Senoko Energy Green Innovation Award in 2010.
Energy and Climate Change
6. Is the product or service energy efficient or helps to conserve energy or reduce carbon emissions?
The product uses recycled plastics instead of virgin plastic material, thus reducing plastic waste and further lowering carbon emissions. SIMTech assisted Winrigo to conduct a comparative carbon footprint assessment to verify the eco-friendliness of the material, R3Plas™. R3Plas™ is able to reduce carbon emission by 30% compared to virgin plastics without increasing in cost.
9. Does the company measure its energy consumption, carbon dioxide or greenhouse gas emissions?
Winrigo has developed a Life Cycle Assessment toolkit with SIMTech, which looks at energy consumption and carbon footprint of its processes and products.
Materials and Waste
12. Does the product or service help to reduce, reuse or recycle waste?
L’earth’s forks are made using plant by-product like wheat. Rather than disposing them as waste, they are put to better use by combining them with recycled plastic.
13. Is the product made from reclaimed or recycled material?
The product is made with recycled plastics and organic plant by-product fibers from wheat.
19. Has the company taken steps to reduce the material and packaging used for the product, or to reduce the waste generated in the production of the product or service?
Winrigo is a signatory to the Singapore Packaging Agreement. This means that the one of the company’s aims has to be reducing packaging waste arising from consumer products.
Chemicals and Health
25. Has the company taken steps to reduce the chemicals used in the product or service?
The company has has conducted 3rd-party tests to ensure that its products are free of most heavy metals and VOCs.
Social and Ethical
30. Are the company employees involved in community activities or volunteering their time to help the community or the environment?
L’earth is always seeking collaboration and environmental projects, and has partnered with Winrigo as sponsors for youth-initiated projects, World Leadership Conference 2011, Earth Day 2011 and Indian Community 2012.
“The fork itself was easy to use like any other forks we have at home. I did not make it go through a steam-test or anything too extreme, but the fork did not melt or anything when put in contact with hot noodles. It felt quite sturdy as well and was not flimsy. I even had fun bending the handle to a curve shape- it did not break like the plastic ones would have. It is a good alternative to plastic forks if you think about reducing environmental impacts. I suppose I can keep on re-using the fork a few more times before deciding to dispose them off.”
What do you think? Share your reviews and comments below.